About this person
Dr. Oliver's research interests are primarily in uncertainty quantification, and parameter estimation for large geoscience data assimilation problems. He has written more than 70 peer-reviewed journal publications and co-authored a book on inverse theory for petroleum reservoir characterization. Dr. Oliver is currently Editor-in-Chief for all journals of the Society of Petroleum Engineers and has served as Executive Editor for SPE Journal. He is a Distinguished Member of SPE and received the SPE Reservoir Description and Dynamics award
in 2004. Dr. Oliver received his Ph.D. in Geophysics in 1980 from the University of Washington, Seattle. Prior to serving as Director of the Mewbourne School of Petroleum and Geological Engineering at The University of Oklahoma, he served on the faculty at the University of Tulsa. He has experience as a reservoir engineer and as a research geophysicist with Chevron.
- Oliver, Dean; Chen, Yan Data assimilation in truncated plurigaussian models: impact of the truncation map.Mathematical Geosciences 2018.
- Oliver, Dean Metropolized Randomized Maximum Likelihood for Improved Sampling from Multimodal Distributions. SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification 2017 ; Volume 5 (1). s. 259-277
- Oliver, Dean; Alfonzo, Miguel Angel Calibration of imperfect models to biased observations.Computational Geosciences 2017. s. 1-17
- Chen, Yan; Oliver, Dean Localization and regularization for iterative ensemble smoothers.Computational Geosciences 2016 ; Volume 21 (1). s. 13-30
- Astrakova, Alina; Oliver, Dean Conditioning truncated Pluri-Gaussian models to facies observations in Ensemble-Kalman-based data assimilation. Mathematical Geosciences 2015 ; Volume 47 (3). s. 345-367
- Chen, Yan; Oliver, Dean History Matching Of The Norne Full Field Model Using An Iterative Ensemble Smoother. 75th EAGE Conference & Exhibition incorporating SPE EUROPEC 2013 2013 ISBN 978-1-61399-254-8. 150 pages.
- Astrakova, Alina; Oliver, Dean Truncation map estimation for the truncated bigaussian model based on bivariate unit-lag probabilities. I: ECMOR XIV - Proceedings of 14th European Conference on the Mathematics of Oil Recovery, Catania, Italy, 8-11 September, 2014. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers 2014 ISBN 978-90-73834-94-1.. pages 951-965
- Zhang, Yanhui; Oliver, Dean Ensemble Methods of Data Assimilation in Porous Media Flow for Non-Gaussian Prior Probability Density. University of Bergen 2015. (ISBN 978-82-308-2558-7)
- Oliver, Dean Minimization for sampling and uncertainty quantification. 2017.
- Oliver, Dean Ensemble-based History Matching - Best Practices. 2017.
- Oliver, Dean Ensemble-based History Matching and Uncertainty Quantification. 2017.
- Oliver, Dean Minimization-based sampling from the posterior distribution for inverse problems. 2017.
- Alfonzo, Miguel Angel; Oliver, Dean; MacBeth, Colin Analysis and calibration of 4D seismic data prior to 4D Seismic Inversion and History Matching: Norne Field case.. 2017.