About this person
My main research interests are the combination of physical, chemical and biological processes, with a special focus on the Nordic Seas, the Arctic Ocean, and the North Atlantic. Some main topics are the formation, transformation and spreading of water masses, the dense overflows from the Nordic Seas and their sources, the oceanic carbon cycle, with a special interest in the flux of carbon (and nutrients) related to biological processes, and the transport and accumulation of anthropogenic CO2 into the ocean. I am especially focused on the use of transient tracers, such as chlorofluorocarbons and sulphur hexafluoride, to study ocean ventilation and circulation in the ocean, and I am responsible for the measurements of these tracers at the Bjerknes Centre of Climate Research. In addition to these tracers I have a large interest in using other type of tracers, such as dissolved oxygen and nutrients, to study ocean ventilation and marine primary productivity. By combining physical and chemical data we get an improved view of both physical and biological processes in the ocean, and how they effect each other. This is something I try to implement in all of my research.
Ph.D. in Chemical Oceanography, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg,
- Fröb, Friederike; Olsen, Are; Pérez, Fiz F.; García-Ibáñez, María Isabel; Jeansson, Emil; Omar, Abdirahman; Lauvset, Siv Kari Inorganic Carbon and Water Masses in the Irminger Sea since 1991. Biogeosciences 2018 ; Volume 15. s. 51-72
- Fröb, Friederike; Olsen, Are; Pérez, Fiz F.; Garcia-Ibanez, Maribel I; Jeansson, Emil; Omar, Abdirahman; Lauvset, Siv Kari Inorganic carbon and water masses in the Irminger Sea since 1991. Biogeosciences 2018 ; Volume 15. s. 51-72
- He, Yan-Chun; Tjiputra, Jerry; Langehaug, Helene R.; Jeansson, Emil; Gao, Yongqi; Schwinger, Jörg; Olsen, Are A model-based evaluation of the Inverse Gaussian transit-time distribution method for inferring anthropogenic carbon storage in the ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans 2018 ; Volume 123.
- Goris, Nadine; Tjiputra, Jerry; Olsen, Are; Schwinger, Jörg; Lauvset, Siv Kari; Jeansson, Emil Constraining Projection-Based Estimates of the Future North Atlantic Carbon Uptake. Journal of Climate 2018 ; Volume 31. s. 3959-3978
- Jeansson, Emil; Olsen, Are; Jutterström, Sara Arctic Intermediate Water in the Nordic Seas, 1991-2009.Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers 2017 ; Volume 128. s. 82-97
- Jeansson, Emil; Skjelvan, Ingunn; Frigstad, Helene Report on stoichiometry of net community production (D3.5). EU 2014. 19 pages
- Thomalla, Sandy; Jeansson, Emil Report on the link between changes in the seasonal and inter-annual scales and the physics of the mixed layer and bulk of carbon and nutrient fluxes between the mixed and intermediate ocean (D3.6). EU 2014. 23 pages
- Allen, Icarus; Jeansson, Emil; Samuelsen, Annette; Bellerby, Richard; Vichi, Marcello Towards the next generation plankton models – expert recommendations for the future development of plankton models. EU 2014. 23 pages
- Pérez, Fiz F.; Rios, Aida F.; Velo, Antón; van Heuven, Steven; Hoppema, Mario; Steinfeldt, Reiner; de Baar, Hein; Jeansson, Emil; Rajasakaren, Balamuralli; Schuster, Ute Regional carbon inventories: Report on regional carbon inventories and their decadal changes (D5.9). EU 2014. 11 pages
- Skjelvan, Ingunn; Jeansson, Emil; Chierici, Melissa; Omar, Abdirahman; Olsen, Are; Lauvset, Siv Kari; Johannessen, Truls Havforsuring og opptak av antropogent karbon i de Nordiske hav, 1981-2013, M244-2014. Miljødirektoratet 2014. 31 pages
- Rajasakaren, Balamuralli; Jeansson, Emil; Olsen, Are; Tanhua, Toste; Johannessen, Truls; Smethie, W.M. Decadal Changes in Ventilation and Anthropogenic Carbon in the Intermediate Depths of the Arctic Ocean. 2017.
- He, Yan-Chun; Tjiputra, Jerry; Langehaug, Helene R.; Jeansson, Emil; Gao, Yongqi; Schwinger, Jörg; Olsen, Are A model-based evaluation of the Transit-time Distribution (TTD) method for inferring anthropogenic carbon storage in the ocean. 2017.
- Goris, Nadine; Tjiputra, Jerry; Olsen, Are; Lauvset, Siv Kari; Schwinger, Jörg; Jeansson, Emil The subpolar gyre region as benchmark for the future anthropogenic carbon budget of the North Atlantic. 2017.
- Eide, Marie; Olsen, Are; Fröb, Friederike; Becker, Meike; Mørkved, Pål Tore; Tanhua, Toste; Stöven, Tim; Jeansson, Emil The Anthropocene in the marine carbon isotope record, δ13C in the Nordic Seas. 2017.
- Jeansson, Emil; Olsen, Are; Jutterström, Sara Arctic Intermediate Water in the Nordic Seas, 1991–2009. 2017.
FreshWaterJan. 1, 2015 - Dec. 31, 2018 | Uni Research Climate
ICOS-Norway / OTC - Integrated Carbon Observation SystemApril 1, 2016 - March 31, 2021 | Uni Research Climate