About this person
- Marine biotechnology
- Enzyme discovery
- Enzyme development
- Protein production
- Molecular biology
Competence: We offer biotechnological solutions for the bio-based marine industry. Our focus is to develop enzymes designed for the industry. We are working on enzyme discovery, but also on optimization of existing enzymes.
Methods: Bioprospecting. Functional screening of enzyme activity. State-of-the-art recombinant cloning. Heterologous expression of proteins in prokaryotic and eukaryotic systems. Enzyme production. Enzyme activity. Development of enzyme assays. Protein purification. Immunoblotting. Lab and project management.
- Skagseth, Susann; Carlsen, Trine Josefine Olsen; Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng; Spencer, James; Samuelsen, Ørjan; Leiros, Hanna-Kirsti S. Role of residues W228 and Y233 in the structure and activity of metallo-β-lactamase GIM-1. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2016 ; Volume 60 (2). s. 990-1002
- Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng; Arsin, Hasan; Larsen, Øivind; Puntervoll, Pål; Kleivdal, Hans Torstein A rapid solubility-optimized screening procedure for recombinant subtilisins in E. coli. Journal of Biotechnology 2016 ; Volume 222. s. 38-46
- Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng Fiskeben til middag?. Dagens næringsliv 2016. s. 25-25
- Leiros, Hanna-Kirsti S.; Edvardsen, Kine Susann Waade; Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng; Samuelsen, Ørjan Structural and biochemical characterization of VIM-26 shows that Leu224 has implications for the substrate specificity of VIM metallo-β-lactamases. The FEBS Journal 2015 ; Volume 282 (6). s. 1031-1042
- Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng; Williamson, Adele Kim Cold shock induction of recombinant Arctic environmental genes.BMC Biotechnology 2015 ; Volume 15 (78). s. 1-12
- Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng Uni Research translates research into industrial and societal applications - presenting the Center for applied biotechnology. 2017.
- Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng Expanding the enzyme tool box. 2017.
- Larsen, Øivind; Arsin, Hasan; Stokke, Runar; Garcia-Moyano, Antonio; Puntervoll, Pål; Leiros, Ingar; Smalås, Arne O.; Steen, Ida Helene; Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng Discovery of proteases for bioconversion of marine biomass. 2017.
- Garcia-Moyano, Antonio; Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng Discovery of proteases for bioconversion of marine biomass. 2017.
- Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng New enzyme tools are key to future developments in the emerging Norwegian marine bio-based industry. 2017.
iEnzyme - Optimizing enzymatic hydrolysis of marine by-productsUni Research Environment
INMARE - Industrial Applications of Marine EnzymesApril 1, 2015 - March 31, 2019 | Uni Research Environment
NorZymeD - Enzyme development for Norwegian biomassResults Nov. 22, 2012 - Nov. 22, 2018 | Uni Research Environment