About this person
I got my PhD at University of Miami, Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science in the Meteorology & Physical Oceanography Department.
I am interested in small scale mixing in the ocean and its representation in large scale climate models.
My main focus areas include gravity currents, exchange flows and deep convection.
I use climate models for developing parameterization, hypothesis testing, and high resolution numerical simulations for idealized process studies.
- Langehaug, Helene R.; Sandø, Anne Britt; Årthun, Marius; Ilicak, Mehmet Variability along the Atlantic water pathway in the forced Norwegian Earth System Model. Climate Dynamics 2018. s. 1-20
- Muilwijk, Morven; Smedsrud, Lars H.; Ilicak, Mehmet; Drange, Helge Atlantic Water Heat Transport Variability in the 20th Century Arctic Ocean From a Global Ocean Model and Observations.Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans 2018.
- Koseki, Shunya; Keenlyside, Noel; Demissie, Teferi Dejene; Toniazzo, Thomas; Counillon, Francois; Bethke, Ingo; Ilicak, Mehmet; Shen, Mao-Lin Causes of the large warm bias in the Angola–Benguela Frontal Zone in the Norwegian Earth System Model.Climate Dynamics 2017. s. 1-20
- Nummelin, Aleksi; Ilicak, Mehmet; Li, Camille; Smedsrud, Lars H. Consequences of future increased arctic runoff on Arctic Ocean stratification, circulation, and sea ice cover. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans 2016 ; Volume 121 (1). s. 617-637
- Wang, Qiang; Ilicak, Mehmet; Gerdes, Rudiger; Drange, Helge; Aksenov, Yevgeny; Bailey, David A; Bentsen, Mats; Biastoch, Arne; Bozec, Alexandra; Böning, Claus; Cassou, Christophe; Chassignet, Eric; Coward, Andrew C; Curry, Beth; Danabasoglu, Gokhan; Danilov, Sergey; Fernandez, Elodie; Fogli, Pier Giuseppe; Fujii, Yosuke; Griffies, Stephen M; Iovino, Doroteaciro; Jahn, Alexandra; Jung, Thomas; Large, William G; Lee, Craig; Lique, Camille; Lu, Jianhua; Masina, Simona; Nurser, AJ George; Rabe, Benjamin; Roth, Christina; Salas y Melia, David; Samuels, Bonita L; Spence, Paul; Tsujino, Hiroyuki; Valcke, Sophie; Voldoire, Aurore; Wang, Xuezhu; Yeager, Steve G An assessment of the Arctic Ocean in a suite of interannual CORE-II simulations. Part II: Liquid freshwater.Ocean Modelling 2016 ; Volume 99. s. 86-109
- Guo, Chuncheng; Bentsen, Mats; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Bethke, Ingo; Ilicak, Mehmet; Toniazzo, Thomas; Otterå, Odd Helge; Zhang, Zhongshi Glacial and interglacial simulations with NorESM BCCR fast version. 2017.
- Ilicak, Mehmet What would happen if the Earth rotates opposite direction?. 2016.
- Ilicak, Mehmet Arctic Ocean model biases and sensitivity to river runoff. 2016.
- Ilicak, Mehmet A new method to quantify the spatial distribution of spurious mixing in ocean models. 2016.
- Ilicak, Mehmet Recent developments to improve “infamous” North Atlantic cold bias. 2016.
APPLICATE - Advanced prediction in polar regions and beyond: Modelling, observing system design and linkages associated with Arctic climate changeNov. 1, 2016 - Oct. 31, 2020 | Uni Research Climate
ice2ice - What if Arctic sea ice disappears?Aug. 1, 2014 - Sept. 30, 2019 | Uni Research Climate
STERCP - Synchronisation to enhance reliability of climate predictionsSept. 1, 2015 - Aug. 31, 2020 | Uni Research Climate