About this person
I obtained my PhD from Columbia University in 2010 and, after a one year postdoc at the University of North Carolina, moved to Bergen in 2011. My interests are broad and cover many aspects of the climate system from large-scale climate dynamics to small-scale convective phenomena. I am currently engaged in research on the atmospheric circulation, storm track dynamics, teleconnections, their variability and their responses to both naturally and anthropogenically forced climate change. I am also leading a number of projects focused on regional to local climate variability and change. These involve regional downscaling using dynamical and combined dynamical-statistical approaches. Due to the applied nature of these studies I have also taken an interest in how climate information is produced and used by society. As a result I am, therefore, quite heavily involved in the nascent fields of climate information distillation and climate services science.
- Knist, Sebastian; Goergen, Klaus; Buonomo, Erasmo; Christensen, Ole Bøssing; Colette, Augustin; Cardoso, Rita M.; Fealy, Rowan; Fernández, Jesús; García-Díez, Markel; Jacob, Daniela; Kartsios, Stergios; Katragkou, Eleni; Keuler, Klaus; Mayer, Stephanie; van Meijgaard, Erik; Nikulin, Grigory; Soares, Pedro M.M.; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter; Szepszo, Gabriella; Teichmann, Claas; Vautard, Robert; Warrach-Sagi, Kirsten; Wulfmeyer, Volker; Simmer, Clemens Land-atmosphere coupling in EURO-CORDEX evaluation experiments. Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres 2017 ; Volume 122 (1). s. 79-103
- Kolstad, Erik Wilhelm; Barnes, Elizabeth A.; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter Quantifying the role of land–atmosphere feedbacks in mediating near-surface temperature persistence. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 2017 ; Volume 143 (704). s. 1620-1631
- Li, Lu; Gochis, David; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter; Mesquita, Michel d. S. Evaluating the present annual water budget of a Himalayan headwater river basin using a high-resolution atmosphere-hydrology model. Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres 2017.
- Lacressonnière, Gwendoline; Watson, Laura; Gauss, Michael; Engardt, Magnuz; Andersson, Camilla; Beekmann, Matthias; Colette, Augustin; Forêt, Gilles; Josse, Béatrice; Marécal, Virginie; Nyiri, Agnes; Siour, Guillaume; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter; Vautard, Robert Particulate matter air pollution in Europe in a +2 °C warming world. Atmospheric Environment 2017 ; Volume 154. s. 129-140
- Yu, Entao; King, Martin Peter; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter; Otterå, Odd Helge; Gao, Yongqi Asian droughts in the last millennium: a search for robust impacts of Pacific Ocean surface temperature variabilities.Climate Dynamics 2017. s. 1-19
- Sorteberg, Asgeir; Haddeland, Ingjerd; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter; Haugen, Jan Erik; Wong, Wai Kwok Evaluation of distribution mapping based bias correction methods. Norwegian Centre for Climate Services (NCCS) 2015. 23 pages Norwegian Centre for Climate Services Reports(1)
- Mayer, Stephanie; Kolstad, Erik Wilhelm; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter; Stiller-Reeve, Mathew Alexander; Pontoppidan, Marie Louise Nielsen Climate Services at the Bjerknes Centre. 2017.
- Adakudlu, Muralidhar; Wang, Yiguo; Counillon, Francois; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter Initialized experiments for seasonal climate prediction at high latitudes. 2017.
- Velle, Liv Guri; Grimsrud, Kristine M.; Jansen, Eystein; Lee, Hanna; Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter; Tvinnereim, Endre; Vandvik, Vigdis Hidden costs of implementing afforestation as a climate mitigation strategy: A comprehensive assessment of direct and indirect impacts. 2017.
- Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter Arctic-midlatitude teleconnections in idealized frameworks. 2017.
- Sobolowski, Stefan Pieter Developing Climate Services in Norway: Experiences, Successes and Challenges. 2017.
EVOGLAC - Investigating the future evolution of Norwegian glaciers and hydrological impacts: an integrated approachAug. 1, 2016 - July 31, 2019 | Uni Research Climate
EXPREC - Climatic changes in short duration extreme precipitation and rapid onset flooding - implications for design valuesApril 1, 2015 - March 31, 2018 | Uni Research Climate
Hidden costs of implementing afforestation as a climate mitigation strategy: A comprehensive assessment of direct and indirect impacts (HiddenCosts)Jan. 1, 2017 - Dec. 31, 2020 | Uni Research Climate
MARGINS - Greenland Margins: Glacial Ice, Ocean and Atmospheric DynamicsJan. 1, 2015 - Dec. 31, 2018 | Uni Research Climate
PARADIGM - Prediction and Regional Downscaling ModelsJan. 1, 2015 - Dec. 31, 2018 | Uni Research Climate
R3 - Relevant, Reliable and Robust local-scale climate projections for NorwayApril 1, 2016 - Sept. 30, 2019 | Uni Research Climate
SNOWGLACE - The Changing Arctic Cryosphere: Snow and Sea Ice Impact On Prediction and Climate Over Europe and AsiaSept. 30, 2015 - Sept. 30, 2018 | Uni Research Climate
WACyExJan. 1, 2015 - Dec. 31, 2018 | Uni Research Climate