About the project
The main purpose of this research is to contribute to knowledge about the “Norwegian Community Police reform”; i.e. challenges related to changes and their consequences for implementing the reform at various administrative levels. Moreover, we aim to produce knowledge about the potential results of this reform within specific thematic areas. Therefore, our work develops from the following overarching research question:
How is the reform implemented, how is it met at various organizational levels, and what are the consequences of these factors for the implementation process.
We approach the research question from the following: A) A substudy of how the objectives of the Neighborhood policing reform are operationalized and carried out at the local level, and how central actors at this level interpret the reform and its implementation. (This part of the study is accomplished by experienced scientists within the project). B) Master thesis about the implementation of The Norwegian Community Police reform within specifically selected areas.
The Norwegian Community Police reform was approved in 2015 and will be implemented gradually towards the year 2020.
In the project, we will identify challenges related to reforming a large and complex organization such as the police. The objective is to study how the deployment of the reform are met and perceived by central actors and implementers in selected police districts.
Among the aspects, we will examine are the following:
- How do the police districts selected for this study follow up and operationalize the approved reform?
- Which are the resources in terms of economy and personnel for implementing the reform within the police districts?
- How do the various actors consider the information flow related to the implementation? I.e. from the ministry/directorate, via the police districts, and to the actors within the distinct police districts?
- Do employees and leaders working with the reform within the police districts experience a (too) high level of control, or the lack thereof, from the ministry and /or directorate? How does this affect the work of implementing the reform?
- From the perspective of the police districts, how is the cooperation between the ministry and the directorate? Is the alignment favorable or does it preclude cooperation?